this blog is for you...

...if you too are an aspiring gardener who likes eating, drinking and some silly tales.

Sunday 9 January 2011

My Garden

My garden is on the small side, and not so perfectly formed. God only knows how much money I have sunk into its 3 borders over the past 6 years as I did not keep account. Instead I approached it all with a gung ho attitude (although only in fair weather)... et voilà - the borders are bare, the shrubs sorrowful...

It is with relief that I am informed January is 'a bit of a rubbish month' for gardeners. James Alexander-Sinclair says so and on this basis I am subscribing to The English Garden so I can benefit from more good advice like this: 'most of my recommendations for this month will not involve you moving from the sofa'. Thank you James - I'm off to a good start having not moved from my sofa since mid December. Sitting is something I am very good at. I have been doing it for 34 years.

In fact, the majority of articles advise that January is a good time for contemplation and planning, two things I neglected to do first time round. So, Janus-like, with one woeful eye cast on past mistakes, and the other blinking at the bright sunlight, I sit ensconced on couch, hoping that sometime soon phrases like exclusion zones or doubling up will make sense to me... time to make a plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment