this blog is for you...

...if you too are an aspiring gardener who likes eating, drinking and some silly tales.

Monday 24 January 2011

Friday Mornings at Borough Market

Rituals. I have a few, one of which is a trip to Borough Market on a Friday morning, followed promptly at 12.30pm by  a plateau of fruits de mer at The Wright Brothers. I cannot pretend to be alone on this: the market is a mecca for many and as for the oyster house, if you do not book seats in advance, you shall not get a space. Not for love nor money.

There are so many wonderful things to say about The Wright Bros that I have blogged about it separately here. Otherwise, this is how my morning at the market goes...


1. Clam Breakfast.
This is not an oxymoron. A clam is my preferred way to start the day. I cannot abide cereal and bemoan the influence Kelloggs has had on what the majority consume in the am-hours.

Back to clams: Danny's stall is my first Friday stop. Always. He runs it with great aplomb and the same can be said of his skills as a shucker. If you watch him carefully, he gives each oyster a little flip in the shell before serving so that the plumpest part is proud. Genius.

His natives are reasonably priced: you can takeaway a dozen for £5, although it is a lot more fun to just eat them there. The real treat are the large clams. I pray that someone out there will open a champagne-to-go stall next to him. Sadly it shan't be me, as I would drink the profits and them some. In a perfect world it would be the likes of The Three Choirs, Nyetimber or Limney yineyard. They all do smashing organic sparkling English wine which more people should care about.


2. Bob the Butcher



Bob is a name I like. I like saying it. Bob. Bob Bob Bob Bob Bob. Bob is also a butcher I like. He sells award winning meats from Northfield Farm, will mince his meat fresh for you, or grant any other wish within his means. He is a font of knowledge and will happily oblige answering questions providing they are not asked during the weekly rush hour that descends between the hours of 12.30 and 2.


3. The Fresh Olive Company


Without fail I have to pick up a £3.50 pot of Petit Lucques from this stall before heading to Brindesa, which it sits just behind. These small olives are harvested early season and from Carcassonne, south-west France. They are crispy and creamy and accompany a glass or two of Pol Roger very well.


4. Torta de Canaresal
I am hard pushed to pick my favourite cheese but this would be in my top 3 for sure. The trick to this sheep's milk torta is to leave it out until it feels soft, then cut off the lid so that you are left with something looking like a mini-cauldron. At home we scoop the insides out with teaspoons. Quince membrillo always colludes. Brindisa sell out by midday, so you have been warned.

5. My Cherry Amour

Another £3.50 very well spent. The best black cherry jam. Promise.

6. By now it is usually time for lunch. You can read about this ritual here.

No comments:

Post a Comment