this blog is for you...

...if you too are an aspiring gardener who likes eating, drinking and some silly tales.

Wednesday 20 April 2011

The Strangest Surprise


Wow. What a difference a day makes.

Saturday 16th April 2011. That's when it all changed, when little Willow joined the Eagle pride, moving us up one notch from a household of 2 to 3. We are truly blessed! I am trying to restrain myself from using the exclamation point excessively and apologise for peppering the post with the diminutive word 'little' so many times, but do prepare for lots and lots of puppy shots.



Willow is enjoying the garden. And husband and I are enjoying his enjoyment of it. He can't see the dishevelled beds or cut down trees, he doesn't mind weeds, or the log pile. I probably shouldn't let him go into the borders but they don't exist as such and whilst the pots intrigue him, he seems to prefer chewing on grass, twigs, mud and me...


Here is his first twig! Or part of it.



After reducing the twig to bite size he bounced round the garden rather excitedly with it.


Then it was off to investigate the lavender, which reminds me - I must take cuttings whilst there is lots of new growth. When I do you can read about it here.

Not quite into a routine, at 9 weeks of age the pup's got his priorities in life pretty much right - nothing better than eat, sleep and play. We are not being too strict. Not just yet. The first week is about letting him 'settle in'. And getting him familiar with his name.


The stack of puppy books I should be reading has for now been put on hold. What I am perusing is Love Signs by Linda Goodman. I've been short on excuses to open it for a while, but Willow's puppy pack informs me that he was born on the 11th of Feb. This makes him Aquarius and me Leo. I could not resist a dip.

The first thing I note is that 'compatibility chapter' is remarkably long! According to Goodman the Eagle/Willow relationship will be a 'carnival of the silly and the sublime'. How did she know already? Leo and Aquarius also 'adore surprises', are both 'progressive-minded, both generous and magnanimous of spirit...' No wonder I love this book.

There are some notes of caution however. Husband is also Leo, so we form something of a mutual admiration society. Even though the little 'Water Bearer' won't be bothered in the slightest by us 'Lions' taking the lead, when we do clash Goodman likens it to 'a herd of Buffalo meeting head-on with a herd of elephants.' Oh boy - I don't think my garden is big enough for that. The words 'deadlocked' and 'stubborn' follow in quick succession, but I am skim-reading by this point. When I reach the statement that both Leo and Aquarius 'tend to be tall and handsome' I shut the book. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and even if I sat the dog on my head I'd still be shy of the average Miss Universe winner, who stands apparently at 5' 11.

Willow is handsome. His eyes are a greyish-blue-green. And the little fellow is fitting in mighty fine.

My hands are literally full so nothing much has happened in the garden. He loves cuddles and as a growing pup needs the sleep. He is on my lap now having a little schluff. Not even the sound of the camera shutter wakes him. Tomorrow the last laburnum shall come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment